Sage, garlic and hazelnut butter (Gnocchi accompaniment)
As requested from a facebook friend, Pip Snape asked me for a recipe to go with the gnocchi recipe I posted earlier to serve as a starter for a dinner party. I gave her a choice of 5 different sauces to choose from and Pip requested this one so here we go… maybe you will enjoy it too!
Sage, garlic and hazelnut butter (serves 6)
- 2 dessert spoons of finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 small cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped very fine
- 2 dessert spoons of peeled hazelnuts, pre toasted in hot oven for 5 mins and lightly crushed with a rolling pin
- 80g butter, unsalted or salted and dice into 1cm cubes
Ensure all ingredients are close to hand and prepped as recipe requires as this recipe is very fast to make, will be ready once you start cooking it in approx 30 -60 seconds.
- Pre- heat a preferably non stick pan to just below smoking point
- Add butter to the pan and wait until it begins to foam
- Add garlic and cook garlic for approx 10-20 seconds. At this point the butter should start to take on a
- Add the chopped sage and hazelnuts, then mix with the gnocchi and serve immediately.
For heating the gnocchi, if you are frying that too then once the gnocchi has started to colour in the frying pan, you can then make the butter in the same pan and serve immediately.
If you are boiling the gnocchi then drain it off well once cooked and keep warm before starting to cook the butter. Then mix the two together and serve immediately.
This dish will also go very well with lemon roasted chicken breast and a side salad to make a main course for example…